In this episode John and Margi interview four individuals who are transgender and either active LDS or former LDS. Our panelists for this interview are Kimberly, Ann, Emmett, and Augustus. We discuss:
- What it was like growing up in the LDS Church
- What effect bullying and life in the “closet” had on them
- How the panelists see transgender people fitting (or not) into LDS Church doctrine
- “Trans-erasure” in the Church where lesbian, gay, and bisexual identities receive more focus and attention; therefore, transgender issues are less understood
- How they were treated when they attended church as their authentic selves
- Things they would like the Church to address with their transgender members
We thank our panelists for sharing each of their unique stories and for bringing light to the Mormon transgender experience!
- Affirmation: Trans* Mormons, Families, and Friends https://www.facebook.com/groups/674629102608451/
- TransActive LDS Support Group for Transgender Mormons & families https://www.facebook.com/TransActiveLDS/
- Utah Transgender FHE https://www.facebook.com/UtahTransFHE/
- Augustus’ Facebook video playlist goo.gl/jGJhm1
- Augustus’ Facebook video recommendations goo.gl/l27WzD
In this episode of Mormon Stories, we interview Noah Rasheta — the Executive Director of the Foundation for Mindful Living and host of the Secular Buddhism podcast. This meaningful and compelling interview covers:
- Noah’s early life as an orthodox Mormon believer and his struggle with the thought that with all of the good in the world, is it possible that the path set forth by the LDS Church is the only valid one?
- How he felt uneasy and shaken as he broadened his study of the Mormon faith
- His description of his transitioning process, his fears of leaving the LDS Church, and “coming out” as a non-believer to those in his faith community
- How as his transition progressed, his view towards people became more kind, warm, and compassionate
- His studies of Buddhist philosophy and the development of a purpose-driven life by integrating Buddhist teachings, modern science, humanism, and humor
- Noah’s Secular Buddhism podcast: https://soundcloud.com/secularbuddhism
Panelists Wendy & Thomas Montgomery and Daniel Parkinson delve into topics related to Utah’s escalating suicide crisis and the feeling of despair that many LDS LGBT individuals experience.
Part 1: In this episode, the panel discusses appropriate guidelines when discussing suicide and work to identify possible correlates unique to Utah and the broader LDS LGBT community.
Part 2: In this episode, the panel discusses the perceived “whiplash” of mixed messaging from LDS Church leadership about LGBT people. They also discuss how to communicate and address the possible causes of the escalating suicide crisis, without violating the guidelines shared in episode 1.