For Margi and me, one of the greatest joys in our progressive/post-Mormon life has been redirecting our LDS tithing funds to various destinations that we feel deserve support, including:
- Organizations like Women for Women, Heifer International, Smile Train, or Water.org.
- Family, friends, or community members in need of support (i.e., for food, a medical procedure, car repair)
- Teachers of our children who do a particularly good job in a given year (and who are clearly underpaid for their work).
This “New Tithing” (as I’m calling it here) has been incredibly rewarding to us for a number of reasons, including:
- It allows us to give to areas where we feel there is a compelling, pressing need, and where we are more confident that the money will be used to help the poor/needy.
- If done properly (e.g., without expectation of payback), such giving can often help to strengthen relationships with family, friends, and community members.
I’m curious – For those of you who are progressive or Post-Mormon, I am very curious to know:
- To what extent have you chosen to continue paying a form of “New Tithing,”
- What are your favorite “New Tithing” destinations?
- What benefits/joys/blessings have you noted from these efforts?
I look forward to your stories, experiences, and ideas!