John, Margi, and Julie focus on the powerful cultural messages about gender, potential, life decisions, and worth that are broadcast in the questions we ask. During the interview, cultural assumptions are challenged in some of the questions from Julie’s article:
- Did you know that you are a son of your Heavenly Mother?
- What does your wife do for a living?
- Who’s watching your kids?
- Why are you getting a graduate degree?
- Will you go home and change? Your clothes are distracting the sisters.
…and many more.
Dr. Hanks is hosting a Women’s Workshop in Salt Lake City on July 26, 2017. Information for that event can be found here
Dr. Hanks is also presenting at this year’s Salt Lake Sunstone Symposium on July 29 at 9:00AM with her subject “The Shame with no Name: Identifying and healing aspirational shame in Mormon women.” Information for this can be found here
And finally, you can learn from Dr. Hanks alongside John at our Mormon Stories Mixed Faith Marriage Retreat on 8/11-12 in Salt Lake City. Event details are located here.